Who are you?

October 20, 2021



Who are you?

 Frost covered the windows just as the memories hold on to us and when the light falls on them, it dazzles and melts. Just like the memories dazzle us and finally melts our core. I carefully watched it, all of it, step by step. That’s the thing about winters, you find comfort in warmth, it draws us back to our quilts and then slowly gives us motion.  

Book in one hand and coffee in the other, I lay down in my bed lost in my own world of thoughts. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. I opened it. 

A serene looking man stood there, still. 

“Yes” 

“You are Kaira?” 

“Yes, I am.” 

“I am your uncle. Uncle David.” 

“I am sorry. I do not gather it.” 

“Come on. You don’t remember me, Aka.” 

Suddenly that name struck in my mind. My father used to call me by that name. Is he really my uncle then?  

“So, can I come in, Aka? Its freezing out here.” He said shivering. 

“Yes, yes. Why not?” I said dreamily. 

My mind still wondering on the man’s identity. He made his way to the sofa near the fireplace. 

“Aka, Can you make me a cup of coffee?” He said giving a familiar smile. 

I nodded and went to the kitchen at once. When I returned with a cup of coffee, I saw him with my father's photo. Startled I asked, 

“What are you doing?” 

“You miss him. Don’t you?” 

Those words pierced through my heart. Unable to utter a single syllable, I nodded. 

“Your father sent me here.” 

I was left baffled, “But he is ..... he is... dead.” 

“You should let him go. He has a different journey now just like you have a different journey now. Don’t let the past hold your future back.” 

With this, the man burnt the photo in his hand and vanished turning into the glimpses of my father. 

With the emotions raging on, I screamed, “Papa!!” As I screamed a darkness appeared, I could hear the bird chirping beside my window. Sunshine dazzled on all the plants and the snow. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments